What Sound System for KDE 4

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sun Aug 15 21:28:49 BST 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 20:18, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Saturday 14 August 2004 12:18, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On the contrary I expect it to be quite simple, it I also expect I am one
> > of those who will have to make it happen.
>
> I'd like to help where I can...
>
> > The interface will need a few basic features and the rest will have to be
> > configured by KCM-modules provided by the backends themselves.
>
> Yes, but what about MediaPlayer features like inserting effects or doing
> audio visualizations?
> Either the backends would implement a function for showing a dialog to
> configure those things or the interface would have to include more complex
> functions like
> * insert effect
> * getFFT
> * getPCM

I think that would result in overengineering. Applications that wants advanced
features like that, would have to detect the backends specifically. This is
for simple open file, play it type of applications. I would expect Amarok or
JuK to use the backends directly (or refuse to start if an incompatible
backend is used).

`Allan