What Sound System for KDE 4

Sébastien Laoût [temporar] les83plus at free.fr
Sun Aug 15 20:08:24 BST 2004

Le dim 15/08/2004 à 20:18, Matthias Kretz a écrit :
> Yes, but what about MediaPlayer features like inserting effects or doing audio
> visualizations?
> Either the backends would implement a function for showing a dialog to
> configure those things or the interface would have to include more complex
> functions like
> * insert effect
> * getFFT
> * getPCM

What about the add of a *simple* recorder tool.
Nowaday micros (with or without webcam) are commun (or cost-less).

A audio recorder would use it (a magnetophone...), but few apps like
messengers could use it. It can be used by PIM tools to take notes
simply by speaking (oh awaited feature: think to KNote with a small
Record button: readily possible under Win... No need to use the keyboard
for a very fast thing).

It could have just such functions:
- Start recording
- Stop recording
- Erase from x to y mm:ss (where x could be 0 OR y the end, to provide
                           more features to the user)
- Position to x min and y sec (StartRecord would erase song after)
- Erase the song (the next StartRecord will not append, then)
                 Perhapse even unneeded: posToXY could be used

The it could directly create a ogg or mp3 file... We fall back to
standard sound server features (GStreamer can transform raw to
ogg/mp3...

The most important is that it should be easy to program (some lines of
code).
Actually we should have courage to start such things.