Qt-Addon classes merge

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Tue Apr 20 06:45:07 BST 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 00:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> - QDns doesn't do non-DNS, nor does it do IPv6. Meaning that even if it
> worked in our code, asynchronous lookups might yield different results
> from synchronous ones.

I don't think the IPv6 statement is correct. QDns parses AAAA records (not A6,
but that's trivial to add if you need it) and can connect to IPv4 and IPv6
DNS servers. I believe that's perfectly sufficient for todays IPv6 usage.

> >> It implements truly asynchronous name-lookup -- not restricting to
> >> DNS alone
> >
> >For what kind of non-DNS name lookup would this be beneficial?
>
> /etc/hosts, NIS, some weirder configurations. The point being that the
> current implementation is inconsistent: synchronous lookups do non-DNS,
> asynchronous ones are DNS-only.

Are there any bugreports of people complaining that their NIS based name
lookups don't work in KDE? (or similar weird setups) Is this still relevant
today?

Simon