Qt-Addon classes merge

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Tue Apr 20 14:24:58 BST 2004

Simon Hausmann wrote:
>On Tuesday 20 April 2004 00:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> - QDns doesn't do non-DNS, nor does it do IPv6. Meaning that even if
>> it worked in our code, asynchronous lookups might yield different
>> results from synchronous ones.
>
>I don't think the IPv6 statement is correct. QDns parses AAAA records
> (not A6, but that's trivial to add if you need it) and can connect to
> IPv4 and IPv6 DNS servers. I believe that's perfectly sufficient for
> todays IPv6 usage.

Actually, you're right. QDns parses AAAA (and A6 has been pushed back as
Informational, so it's not to be used [personally, I prefer it]) and
the old KExtendedSocketLookup internal class did use it for IPv6.

However, the implementation is somehow broken: in our code or in QDns --
we never found where. The fact is, when QDns is used to do the lookup
with IPv6, it simply never finds its results, thus making the lookup
process never end.

>> /etc/hosts, NIS, some weirder configurations. The point being that
>> the current implementation is inconsistent: synchronous lookups do
>> non-DNS, asynchronous ones are DNS-only.
>
>Are there any bugreports of people complaining that their NIS based
> name lookups don't work in KDE? (or similar weird setups) Is this
> still relevant today?

I'm not sure whether this was a bug report in bugs.kde.org, but I have
heard complaints.

To put it bluntly, to rely on DNS alone is wrong.

Imagine a simple two-machine home LAN. You don't want to waste resources
in running named. So, what do you do? Use your ISPs DNS servers
in /etc/resolv.conf and put your two machines' names and IP addresses
in /etc/hosts. This HAS to work. The only reason it currently works is
that I've asked people not to do asynchronous lookups (because it's
broken), thereby never using QDns.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info