Qt-Addon classes merge

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Apr 19 23:20:21 BST 2004

Waldo Bastian wrote:
>> 2) rename all classes and files and merge with libkdecore
[snip]
>> 3) drop it.
>> - Advantages: no work for anyone
>> - Disadvantages: we'll have to live with the current bugs until
>> Qt4/KDE4.
[snip]

>I think  #1 would be a bad idea if there is no commitment from
> TrollTech to incorporate it. So I guess that makes #2 the preferred
> option. What are the bugs that you refer to in #3?

That I know of:
- QDns doesn't work reliably, thus KExtendedSocket's asynchronous lookup
doesn't work. It has been a recommendation that a _synchronous_ lookup
is done by applications to avoid this bug.
- QDns doesn't do non-DNS, nor does it do IPv6. Meaning that even if it
worked in our code, asynchronous lookups might yield different results
from synchronous ones.
- KExtendedSocket is horribly bloated and difficult to understand, thus
driving people away from it and into the deprecated KSocket or to the
non-standard QSocket (meaning QSocket usage makes apps not consistent
with KDE environment, not that it's bugged).

I should point out that whereas TT did not take my QResolver class in,
they did make a replacement for the current QDns. So it will go away in
Qt4. (I hear it will be called QDns too, though)

>> It implements truly asynchronous name-lookup -- not restricting to
>> DNS alone
>
>For what kind of non-DNS name lookup would this be beneficial?

/etc/hosts, NIS, some weirder configurations. The point being that the
current implementation is inconsistent: synchronous lookups do non-DNS,
asynchronous ones are DNS-only.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info