Session mismanagement

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 30 15:54:40 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 16:27, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 10:13 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > > Are we saving kio temp files in there?!
> >
> >  You can check yourself (*Ian has a look ... no, nothing like that
> > there*), no, we don't save kio temp files in share/config/session.
>
> hrm... i think i misunderstood your sentence then... could you please
> clarify?

 We don't save any temporary files in share/config/session, only session
related files -> no crashes should be responsible for leaving files there
(unless the crash happens while saving).

[snip]
> > > I think the big issue for me, is that these files build up over time...
> > > For a user who doesnt know to clean this out they could get very large.
> > > As an example, my wifes session on KDE 3.1.4 has 5 konqueror sessions,
> > > 8 konsoles, 2 ksircs, 7kwins and a kopete in her session.  I know for a
> > > fact I am the only one who uses konsole there, but im pretty sure at
> > > least 4 of the konqi's are real as well as the kopete...
> >
> >  So there are about 20 files that are no longer used, taking up few KBs?
> > Where's the problem?
>
> [3.84}-{geiseri at rae:~/.kde/share/config> du -sH session/
> 3.4M    session
>
> :)  i know diskspace is cheap, but i think we should tell sysadmins to
> : avoid
>
> that directory.  I do admit mine is the exception possibly because of CVS
> head, but the average size arround here is about 200k to a 1meg.  Then
> again im the kinda guy who runs tmpwatch, so im not a fan of leaving stuff
> arround.

 Actually my dir at home had more than 2M with more than 1500 files. And I
still don't consider it very important. But this was why you filled the
bugreport, right? It will get fixed somewhen, no need to talk longer about no
longer used files in share/config/session.

> >  Since there's the report about this in bugzilla, I'll somewhen try to
> > clean up old unused files, if you really care so much about it. For the
> > rest of the other problems, I suggest you file a bugreport for KDE
> > applications, for non-KDE apps you can file them for ksmserver or report
> > them directly for the apps.
>
> How hard would it be to do?  I mean ill fix it myself if im the only one
> who cares.  I can understand session management not saving properly when i
> crash X, and I would never hold anyone to fix that bug (even if we could
> consider it a bug).  My big concern is i have a ton of these session files
> laying arround and its not clear which ones matter or why we save them.  If
> its a matter of a lack of house cleaning then okay, I can accept that for
> now.  I just dont want to break what i consider already fragile session
> handleing.

 I thought you were complaining about two things, old session files staying
around, and various vaguely specified problems with applications while
session saving. The bugreport was for the first one, if you want to try it
yourself, you can have a look at ksmserver. Basically it should be checking
all still valid discard commands and checking which files are still used. As
that cannot be done really cleanly, I'd like to see the patch before
committing, if you make one.
 For the second problem, it should be usually just refusing the close event or
similar.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer