Session mismanagement

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 16:15:00 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 10:54 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 16:27, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

[snip]

> > hrm... i think i misunderstood your sentence then... could you please
> > clarify?
>
>  We don't save any temporary files in share/config/session, only session
> related files -> no crashes should be responsible for leaving files there
> (unless the crash happens while saving).

okay that makes more sense.  :)

> [snip]
[snip]

>  Actually my dir at home had more than 2M with more than 1500 files. And I
> still don't consider it very important. But this was why you filled the
> bugreport, right? It will get fixed somewhen, no need to talk longer about
> no longer used files in share/config/session.
correct, cool.  i guess size wasnt the issue, but the fact that a sysadmin
might get annoyed/confused when trying to fix a problem and notices a 2mb sir
in ~/.kde/share/config... I mean as a sysadmin id be concerned by that if i
didnt know what the problem was.

[snip]

>  I thought you were complaining about two things, old session files staying
> around, and various vaguely specified problems with applications while
> session saving. The bugreport was for the first one, if you want to try it
> yourself, you can have a look at ksmserver. Basically it should be checking
> all still valid discard commands and checking which files are still used.
> As that cannot be done really cleanly, I'd like to see the patch before
> committing, if you make one.
>  For the second problem, it should be usually just refusing the close event
> or similar.

Yes there where two problems, but i had "assumed" that the logout issues where
responsible for the excess files laying arround.  Im not sure if this is the
case.  I didnt think i wanted to submit a bug report until i could give
something less vauge than "its broke sometimes" ,  i mean honestly im not
that much of an asshole :)  at any rate, andras is having a similar problem
with similar apps, so maby we can accumulate enough data to point at the real
problem here.  Is there a kdebug() area to turn on that could say "hey i was
told to save my session"?  That might also help us figure out who the last
app was and maby even why they failed.  Although id buy the refusing of the
close event for non-kde apps, im not sure if kmail does too... or could it?

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown