Session mismanagement

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 15:27:35 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 10:13 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > >  There's a difference between session files (in
> > > $KDEHOME/share/config/session) and temporary KIO files. Are you sure
> > > you're not confusing them here?
> >
> > Are we saving kio temp files in there?!
>
>  You can check yourself (*Ian has a look ... no, nothing like that there*),
> no, we don't save kio temp files in share/config/session.

hrm... i think i misunderstood your sentence then... could you please clarify?

> > Afaik these files are all session files stored in that directory.

> > > Well... there must be some secret competition going on about who breaks
> > > SM the most.
> >
> > Hrm... possibly Icepak, followed by gimp, and now possibly appletproxy if
> > you start an applet outside of kicker...  but i think this is limited to
> > my machine at this point...
> >

> > Is it possible that a b0rked session file on being restored propogates
> > itself? ie, if i have  a wacked out konqi that saves its session, could
> > it restore a wacked out konqi, that again saves itsself in  a bad state?
>
>  Technically it is possible.
>
> > Could we also "clear" out unkown session files in there?  Just to keep
> > bad files from building up?
>
>  Unknown session file should be equal to unused session file.
>
> >  Or maby "scan" the file and try to restore
> > everything in there?
>
>  ??
This was just an idea to try to get back some of those files in there... they
where saved for a reason, maby?  Not sure, im just tinking of possible
solutions here.

> > I think the big issue for me, is that these files build up over time...
> > For a user who doesnt know to clean this out they could get very large.
> > As an example, my wifes session on KDE 3.1.4 has 5 konqueror sessions, 8
> > konsoles, 2 ksircs, 7kwins and a kopete in her session.  I know for a
> > fact I am the only one who uses konsole there, but im pretty sure at
> > least 4 of the konqi's are real as well as the kopete...
>
>  So there are about 20 files that are no longer used, taking up few KBs?
> Where's the problem?

[3.84}-{geiseri at rae:~/.kde/share/config> du -sH session/
3.4M    session
:)  i know diskspace is cheap, but i think we should tell sysadmins to avoid
that directory.  I do admit mine is the exception possibly because of CVS
head, but the average size arround here is about 200k to a 1meg.  Then again
im the kinda guy who runs tmpwatch, so im not a fan of leaving stuff arround.

>  Since there's the report about this in bugzilla, I'll somewhen try to
> clean up old unused files, if you really care so much about it. For the
> rest of the other problems, I suggest you file a bugreport for KDE
> applications, for non-KDE apps you can file them for ksmserver or report
> them directly for the apps.

How hard would it be to do?  I mean ill fix it myself if im the only one who
cares.  I can understand session management not saving properly when i crash
X, and I would never hold anyone to fix that bug (even if we could consider
it a bug).  My big concern is i have a ton of these session files laying
arround and its not clear which ones matter or why we save them.  If its a
matter of a lack of house cleaning then okay, I can accept that for now.  I
just dont want to break what i consider already fragile session handleing.

I will try in earnest to see if i cannot dig up a few more test cases that
cause my session issues where i think ksms forgot it was logging me out.  Im
not sure i belive thats the issue, because ksirc will be hung here on exit,
and the desktop just operates as normal, as if i never pressed logout.

Again, this is pobibly useless unless we can get some more test cases.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown