Session mismanagement

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 14:14:53 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 08:47 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 14:25, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > Well most of the time I have to log out maby 4 or 5 times before it goes.
>
> Then one app is misbehaving (and aborting the logout process).
> Doesn't happen here anymore (last time it did, I think karm's closeEvent
> was the culprit, but that was some time ago).

Maby this came off as other applications.  Its exceedingly difficult to test
system logout and i usually go off of a log file, or trying it from another
WM.

> > If you have an app wishing to save something, or kate thinking a file is
> > modified, the  logout process "forgets" that it was logging out.  Also if
> > applicaitons like ksirc, and kweather when its loaded as an appletproxy
> > can cause the session to "forget" it was really logging out.
>
> ksirc is just fine wrt session management here. Can't tell about kweather.
ksirc has gotten better in head now, but used to have issues.  KWeather, i
think was to blame on the dcopserivce backend, or the fact it was loaded via
appletproxy... the jury is still out on that one, and both are my fault
anyway :)

> > >  Are you kiding?
> >
> > Actually no, since ive had this issue since KDE 2, i figured it was a
> > rarely used thing.
>
> Complete nonsense. Everyone who shuts down his machine at night, is using
> session management the day after. This isn't an "option", this is default
> behavior. I wonder why you have to be so cynical when you find a problem
> somewhere...

Well if I find no real mention of this in the bug system, and at least 3
people say something about it on IRC, i usually figure its not used.    There
are tons of features in KDE that are buggy, but are rarely used enough to
cause a stink.  If they are important enough to me, ill fix them on my own.

> > Like i said this has been arround for ever, its just been more extreme.
> >  One thing i think agrivates it is the "oh you changed the
> > font/style/color, i am going to crash a random konqi, or two" bug, and if
> > you have open documents via kio, that take a while to upload.  KSirc has
> > agrivated this in the past, as well as noatun and non-KDE applications
> > being open that do socket activity such as PSI.  Also a client of mines
> > application Icepak if running when kde exits, will almost always restart
> > two instances when restarted.
> >
> > (ill copy this part in the kde bug, since this has been my notes on why
> > and how this happens)
>
> Very vague notes though.

Annoyingly enough, this is a hard one to trace, because it seems most
agrivated when a user is "just using" their desktop.  Non KDE apps set it
off, and konqi seem to aggrivate this.  I mean im looking at over 600 konqi
sessions here from the last three weeks.      Most are just for empty konqi
windows.  Is this an issue where if you get one, session restore makes a
wacky konqi, that propogates?

> And, the past is the past. There's not much point in going over bugs that
> have been fixed already - are you using CVS HEAD?

Yes, I always check in head, and the version we ship to clients.

> > If its not important I can file a bug and ignore it for a while, its just
> > "session managemnt" is one of those things that seems to be a nice thing
> > if it worked.
>
> And it does.
Sometimes :)

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown