Session mismanagement

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Sep 30 13:47:21 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 14:25, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> Well most of the time I have to log out maby 4 or 5 times before it goes.
Then one app is misbehaving (and aborting the logout process).
Doesn't happen here anymore (last time it did, I think karm's closeEvent
was the culprit, but that was some time ago).

> If you have an app wishing to save something, or kate thinking a file is
> modified, the  logout process "forgets" that it was logging out.  Also if
> applicaitons like ksirc, and kweather when its loaded as an appletproxy can
> cause the session to "forget" it was really logging out.
ksirc is just fine wrt session management here. Can't tell about kweather.

> > >  Does anyone acutally use session management?
> >  Are you kiding?
> Actually no, since ive had this issue since KDE 2, i figured it was a rarely
> used thing.
Complete nonsense. Everyone who shuts down his machine at night, is using
session management the day after. This isn't an "option", this is default behavior.
I wonder why you have to be so cynical when you find a problem somewhere...

> Like i said this has been arround for ever, its just been more extreme.    One
> thing i think agrivates it is the "oh you changed the font/style/color, i am
> going to crash a random konqi, or two" bug, and if you have open documents
> via kio, that take a while to upload.  KSirc has agrivated this in the past,
> as well as noatun and non-KDE applications being open that do socket activity
> such as PSI.  Also a client of mines application Icepak if running when kde
> exits, will almost always restart two instances when restarted.
>
> (ill copy this part in the kde bug, since this has been my notes on why and
> how this happens)
Very vague notes though.

And, the past is the past. There's not much point in going over bugs that have
been fixed already - are you using CVS HEAD?

> If its not important I can file a bug and ignore it for a while, its just
> "session managemnt" is one of those things that seems to be a nice thing if
> it worked.
And it does.