Session mismanagement

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 30 18:19:17 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 17:15, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
[snip]

> >  I thought you were complaining about two things, old session files
> > staying around, and various vaguely specified problems with applications
> > while session saving. The bugreport was for the first one, if you want to
> > try it yourself, you can have a look at ksmserver. Basically it should be
> > checking all still valid discard commands and checking which files are
> > still used. As that cannot be done really cleanly, I'd like to see the
> > patch before committing, if you make one.
> >  For the second problem, it should be usually just refusing the close
> > event or similar.
>
> Yes there where two problems, but i had "assumed" that the logout issues
> where responsible for the excess files laying arround.  Im not sure if this
> is the case.  I didnt think i wanted to submit a bug report until i could
> give something less vauge than "its broke sometimes" ,  i mean honestly im
> not that much of an asshole :)  at any rate, andras is having a similar
> problem with similar apps, so maby we can accumulate enough data to point
> at the real problem here.  Is there a kdebug() area to turn on that could
> say "hey i was told to save my session"?  That might also help us figure
> out who the last app was and maby even why they failed.  Although id buy
> the refusing of the close event for non-kde apps, im not sure if kmail does
> too... or could it?

 As Andras has already found out, the debug area is 1218 since about an hour
ago :). That could maybe help, and I could try to add more comments if
necessary. Note however that the requests for saving are done in parallel,
and only the user interaction ("do you wish to save?" etc.) is done serially,
so the debug comments probably won't always help you.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org