Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Sep 22 06:44:02 BST 2003

Am Monday 22 September 2003 12:11 am schrieb Roberto Alsina:

Hi Roberto,

> > and perhaps the maintainers can be persuaded to change the license for
> > GPL to
> > LGPL so that software licensed under non-GPL-compatible licenses may use
> > it.
> > that is what the LGPL was designed for =)
>
> Probably 50% of the code is mine, consider that changed.

While I personally know of too many occasions where dbms developers claim that
everything should be stored in a relational database (Oracle & Co.) I am
aware of the benefits of having an embedded _sql_ db in KDE. There are many
cases where I don't want to depend on the always source/binary incompatible
sleepy cat db (berkeley db).

Of course LGPL is a prerequisite before even thinking about including it in
kdelibs.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold
e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de