Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Roberto Alsina ralsina at kde.org
Sun Sep 21 23:11:05 BST 2003

> On Sunday 21 September 2003 12:48, Roberto Alsina wrote:
>> SQlite is pretty reliable. Besides, saving a daily dump is trivial.
>
> unfortunately i couldn't find docu on their website and i don't have time
> check out yet another interesting set of code from some random CVS server,
> so
> if my thoughts are already covered, ignore them ;-)
>
> first, i think that having an embedded db solution available in KDE would
> be
> great for those apps that would benefit from them. there's obviously some
> varying opinions on which apps those would be, but i don't think anyone
> would
> argue that there aren't any apps. ergo, it's a probably a very nice
> addition
> for KDE 3.3
>
> as for "saving a daily dump" it would be very nice if qsqlite allowed, via
> single method call, dumping the contents of an embedded db to a standard
> (to qsqlite, if nothing else) XML format and with another method call allow

Hmmm... not XML, but to SQL statements that can later be loaded back.

> and perhaps the maintainers can be persuaded to change the license for GPL
> LGPL so that software licensed under non-GPL-compatible licenses may use
> it.
> that is what the LGPL was designed for =)

Probably 50% of the code is mine, consider that changed.
The other big patches were:

Big important patch from Robert Wittams
Smaller but nice bugfixes by agarfu at sf.net

I am emailing the qsqlite mailing list, but I expect there be no problem.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina at kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Imminentizing the eschaton since 1971.