little reminder on the 3.2 release schedule

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Sep 16 10:36:20 BST 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 10:24, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 09:53, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >
> > I agree that if you read the release plan with one eye blind, you can read
> > out of it, that you can commit features til one day before the release
> > candidate, but I guess I expected some common sense in reading it. E.g.
> > when the documentation is frozen in week 40, how does it make sense to
> > commit new features in week 44?
>
> Document features before implementation is finished? That's not too uncommon.
Implementation finished as in works, no? Implementation finished as you can get
an overview what it's supposed to do, yes.

> > But exactly to iron out misunderstandings like this, I wrote the mail NOW
> > and not in october :)
>
> Then you should also clarify the release plan on the web. Currently it's
> confusing. E.g. it says "Monday November 3rd, 2003: i18n string freeze" in
> the text and "Week 40: i18n string freeze" in the table (week 40 is end of
> September).
Well, the wording is confusing, but I don't know better terms either.

Week 40: major message freeze, single strings are still possible to change - after
  all we're in a beta then and bugs reported will be only possible to fix with new
  strings/changed strings.
  But e.g. systematic style guide changes I would not like to see after that.
Week 45: translators finish their work, we're heading binaries.

As you can read in the release schedule, week 45 has a point where it's still open
if it continues as this or if we need another cycle. _But_ that's for bug fixes, features
are supposed to be long in CVS then.

As I said, if you have important features not beeing finished, tell and we need to
come up with a solution. One possible beeing alpha2.

Greetings, Stephan

--
There may be no I in TEAM, but a M and an E.