KWallet integration

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Sep 3 12:35:20 BST 2003

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 12:51, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2003 12:27, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Funny enough I also get this dialog _after_ I enter a password on a
> > html-page. Since I have never used kwallet before I have of course no
> > idea what this supposed password would be.
>
> Sounds like a bug to me -- when I first used KWallet I got a different
> dialog asking me for my new wallet password (including the confirmation). I
> think George can confirm that once he's back in Canada.

I think I got one of those.  It was similarly unclear.  I vaguely knew what
KWallet was supposed to be and therefore blindly entered a password, but
there really needs to be a more clear setup process.  Maybe a mini-wizard?

In it's current state it confused me -- and I'm less likely to be confused by
such than an average user.  A user (a) would have no idea what KWallet was
(b) which password he was supposed to be entering and (c) why he would want
KWallet or for KWallet to know about his passwords.

> > I think the dialog should read more like: "You have entered a password.
> > If you like, KDE can store this password for you in an electronic wallet.
> > That way you only need to remember one password: the password of the
> > wallet. Would you like to store the password in a wallet?"
> > [x] Don't ask again
> > [Store] [No, thanks]
>
> Hmm, I have only shortly used KHTML with KWallet yet, but I don't see a
> problem with storing the autocomplete information unconditionally in the
> wallet.

You're assuming a pretty canonical usage pattern which sadly doesn't hold up
in a lot of real world situations.  Not everyone actually creates separate
accounts for separate users and locks their screen when they walk away.  ;-)

While of course we encourage good arm-chair sysadmin practices, we also need
to allow for the fact that a large chunk of users won't follow them.  It
should definitely be made clear that if a user is "sharing" a login that the
information won't be saved.

And further, for example at some of our public terminals at work that run KDE
we would want to disable KWallet completely...

-Scott

--
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it
is not utterly absurd.