KWallet integration

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Wed Sep 3 14:13:30 BST 2003

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 13:35, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> In it's current state it confused me -- and I'm less likely to be confused
> by such than an average user.  A user (a) would have no idea what KWallet
> was (b) which password he was supposed to be entering and (c) why he would
> want KWallet or for KWallet to know about his passwords.

Sure, usability-wise there is still some room for improvement, all I was
saying is that the backend itself is ok.

> You're assuming a pretty canonical usage pattern which sadly doesn't hold
> up in a lot of real world situations.  Not everyone actually creates
> separate accounts for separate users and locks their screen when they walk
> away.  ;-)

If you share your account with your girlfriend you can give her the wallet
password and share that as well, no?

> And further, for example at some of our public terminals at work that run
> KDE we would want to disable KWallet completely...

See KControl. According to George there is an option there to disable the use
of wallets globally. Can't tell about KHTML but Kopete in that case falls
back to the KDE 3.1 behaviour of storing passwords in KConfig using a simple
hash. I'll probably add a message box before that saying that passwords
without wallet can be easily retrieved from the config file to allow a user
to not store passwords in KConfig ever.

--
Martijn