"Folder" or "Directory"?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Mon Oct 20 10:54:00 BST 2003

> Could we please stop this useless discussion. Obviously the decision has

Why is this discussion useless? Obviosuly I'm not the only one who thinks
"Folder" is more appropriate / user-friendly.

> already been made, not by the developers, but by the ones who are
> responsible for proof reading and translation. I don't see the need for
> any more "I'm pro!" / "I'm against!" messages. Just accept the decision
> of the i18n team.

Why? If I, and others, don't agree with a decision in which I was not part
of - why should I just "shut up"? I don't see how this really affects i18n -
other non-english languages are free to use whichever term is more appropriate
in the context for each language. Using the name "directory", and then
creating a "folder" icon, in *english" is non-sense. Just because UNIX/DOS use the
term "directory" doesn't mean the user has to see this. KDE is a gui - not a
command line environment. We have "mail" folders which use the same icon as
a konqueror "directory" - and *most* other GUI filemanagers use a "folder"
icon, and call it a folder.

> Regards,
> Ingo

Craig.