"Folder" or "Directory"?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Fri Oct 17 15:13:19 BST 2003

> Em Friday 17 October 2003 04:47, Eva Brucherseifer escreveu:
> > You have another vote for naming it all "folder" - it is way more
> > consistent. And indeed KDE is an abstraction to the OS, that is what we
> are
> > working on all the time - to present something to the user, so that
> he/she
> > can use the computer without the need to know the OS.
>
> I've got mixed feelings about this, but the reasons I've got for calling
> directories "directories" are probably not very good, so I'm not going to
> die
> if we decide for "folders". Yet, whatever the decision is, it must become
> guideline for sake of consistency, otherwise it will be a mess for our
> users.

I'd be happy to hear your reasons. Personally I'm not too bothered - I
favour "folders", for the previous mentioned reasons. "directory" seems more like
an OS concept - rather than a UI one. But anyway...

How should a decision be made? I don't feel that I alone am enough to make
such a change. How are these decions made in KDE? Should I create a poll on
kde-look? I did originally email this issue to kde-usability, but didn't get
much response.

As I said, I'm willing to go through the code in kdelibs and kdebase to
covert one way or another - so I'm not asking anyone else (well apart from the
translators) to do any work.

Craig.