"Folder" or "Directory"?

Roberto Selbach Teixeira maragato at conectiva.com.br
Fri Oct 17 15:30:54 BST 2003

Em Friday 17 October 2003 11:13, Craig Drummond escreveu:
> I'd be happy to hear your reasons.

My brain does not immediatly connect "folders" to "directories". It's probably
because I'm used to the term "directory". It may be a language problem,
though. In portuguese, "pasta" simply doesn't make sense to me. But as I
said, I don't really care what decision we make as much as I care for we
actually making a decision at all.

> How should a decision be made? I don't feel that I alone am enough to make
> such a change. How are these decions made in KDE?

Try to reach a consensus. Not always possible, but in general it works all
right in KDE.

In this specific case, after some initial "pro-directory" posts, most favoured
"folder".

> As I said, I'm willing to go through the code in kdelibs and kdebase to
> covert one way or another - so I'm not asking anyone else (well apart from
> the translators) to do any work.

Whatever the decision, I'm willing to help enforce it as well. Changes will
certainly be needed in places other than kdelibs and kdebase.

I think the arguments given in favour of "folder" make a lot of sense, and the
people who are against using "folder" seem to have at least accepted them,
since their messages stopped. I say we should use "folder" since this is a
term more common to our users, I believe. Can we start making the changes? If
no one objects, can we consider the decision made?

--
KDE Developer
Conectiva S.A.