Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Nov 25 17:35:47 GMT 2003

On November 25, 2003 1:21 pm, Till Gerken wrote:
> Fact is, that Kopete is currently in a state where it would be much better
> to not be bound to the release cycle, however, this will change as the
> application matures I think. Right now there are just too many features we
> could still be implementing.

I don't know why people keep saying this, it's totally backwards.

Being part of the release cycle is *better* for features. You get a longer
time period to implement and test new features properly, and get proper
planning of what features are needed via release schedules so you can
properly focus your time.

When we aren't using  the KDE release schedule things just turn into a huge
mess. We're releasing every few months, which results in features getting
rushed in and debugged on a part by part basis, instead of considering the
product as a whole and doing them properly from the get-go, which is much
easier when you have 8-10 months do design, develop, refactor, develop...
(repeat as needed), instead of having to freeze the code every 8 weeks for
another release.

Having longer release cycles with proper planning, followed up by extended
freeze periods for testing is a much better plan than "release early, release
often", which in the end always ends up being "release early, break stuff,
fix it, release early again".

That paradigm is great for tacking on features like piecemeal, but it's no way
to develop a properly design application. Over time you just end up with a
huge mess.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org