[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Stefan Gehn mETz81 at web.de
Tue Nov 25 18:14:14 GMT 2003

On Dienstag November 25 2003 18:35, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Being part of the release cycle is *better* for features. You get a longer
> time period to implement and test new features properly, and get proper
> planning of what features are needed via release schedules so you can
> properly focus your time.

That sounds like if we can't do that without being part of KDE, I don't really
think so.

> When we aren't using  the KDE release schedule things just turn into a huge
> mess. We're releasing every few months, which results in features getting
> rushed in and debugged on a part by part basis, instead of considering the

That's part of our missing organization, if not all plugin-devels agree on a
release schedule then things ARE bound to break.

> (repeat as needed), instead of having to freeze the code every 8 weeks for
> another release.

We don't have to do that, we can still work with two branches like we did for
0.7.x. Of course users don't get new features at that time but who cares
anyway. The stable branch is meant to be usable and just patches are meant to
get into it.

> Having longer release cycles with proper planning, followed up by extended
> freeze periods for testing is a much better plan than "release early,
> release often", which in the end always ends up being "release early, break
> stuff, fix it, release early again".

And I can assure you that without many people around the world testing OSCAR
will never get usable character encoding/decoding support.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein