Common string encryption

Michael Goffioul goffioul at imec.be
Tue May 20 09:46:55 BST 2003

> If you can use a one-way encryption or hash, it would be best, since the
> original password could not be retrieved from the written data. If you really
> need to store a password, then I'd suggest waiting a couple of months to see
> how far along KWallet comes.
>
> I don't think this is the time to start writing encryption stuff into the core
> libraries if we are going to have an engine to handle passwords efficiently
> in the near future.

My point was not to rewrite an encryption routine, but simply to move
the simple kmail encryption function (5 lines of code) to kdelibs such
that other apps can store passwords in non-clear form. But OK, I can
live with clear-form storing, in the end, it's the user who decides
if he wants to store the password or not (the simple encryption was
only intended for very basic security).

Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul at imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.