Moving QExtMDI to kdelibs

Datschge datschge at gmx.net
Thu May 15 12:00:35 BST 2003

I have to say I fully agree with Neil on this topic.

Neil Stevens wrote:
> "MDI should not appear in KDE without explicit user intervention to
> turn it on."

* First step: Every KDE App should first start in SDI mode in every case.

Users in general are easily overwhelmed of complexities they don't experienced
and understand yet. SDI allows users to easily organize the amount of stuff
since everything they started is represented by exactly one window, connected
with exactly one taskbar and exactly one Alt+Tab switcher entry. Closing the
window gets them away with it again, and there is no hidden stuff which could
be missed or even lead to loss of data.

* Second step: "Primitive MDI", organizing multiple windows at once with Kwin.

As soon as a user is familiar with the interface and behavior of the programs
he uses he won't be afraid of using more and more of them at once. This
raises the issue of available screen space as well as the missing possibility
to combine several windows together based on specific tasks (let's ignore the
rather obscure possibility to use several virtual desktops). This ability
should be offered globally by Kwin, while retaining independence of every
(former) SDI regarding taskbar and Alt+Tab switcher entries.

* Third step: "Advanced MDI", the MDI we all hate unless we actually want it.

Using the consistent MDI capabilities of Kwin the user will be able to quickly
familiarize with it and most likely ask for additional goodies. Want to save
and close all SDI's in one MDI at once? So be it. Want to hide all SDI's and
instead show the one MDI containing them as taskbar and Alt+Tab switcher
entry instead? So be it. Want to have additional features through
communication by combining eg. a file list and an editor in one MDI? So be
it. Let the user dig in and stick together what he wants to be together and
offer logically resulting features.

The end result is the full force and heavily blown MDI users use to hate, hate
because they didn't get to decide themselves what they get there and how it
works. Instead they were confronted with a ready made confusingly complex
block called MDI to which they need to get used first while constantly
complaining about missing features available at the fingertip but in the
wrong program.

So what we should do now in my opinion is doing the second step before doing
the third one. First let Lubos implement a Kwin based MDI, using QExtMDI if
it helps, not using it if it doesn't. After that everyone can work on
communication between SDI applications through the MDI framework offered by
Kwin. After that the whole SDI vs. MDI discussion in only up to the user's
personal experience and preference.

Thank you for your attention.
Cheers, Datschge =)