KHTML developers: Animated GIF playing

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue May 13 07:45:15 BST 2003

On Monday 12 May 2003 16:36, Mosfet wrote:
> I've been kindof annoyed at animated GIF playing using QMovie for some time.
> It used to take a lot of resources, now it sometimes takes all the CPU and
> makes the GUI crawl. Because of this I wrote my own animated GIF player based
> on libungif. Qt's version manually parses each byte of the GIF ;-)
>
> My libungif version seems to work much smoother to me, esp. with large GIF
> animations. I didn't code it using QImageConsumer but I can do so if you all
> are interested in using it. Drop me a line and I can convert it and provide
> the code to you.

It can't get much worse I'd say. Just make sure your code handles color maps
and dithering correctly. I don't know what libungif gives you, but with the Qt
GIF reader this was the biggest problem. I'd be happy to test your code.
Unfortunatly my own collection of test GIF images is lost, but I find some :)

Greetings, Stephan