KDE 3.2 release cycle

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Mon May 12 15:28:45 BST 2003

Well, as I said before I don't think we necessarily have to push up the stable
releases although CVS has been very stable for me so far. As was noted many
bugs listed on bugs.kde.org aren't crashes but other behavior that isn't
optimal.

I do understand that there is a lot of cool things people want to do for
KDE3.2, especially in regards to kde-pim, and I'm all for that. What I think
now would be good is for us to occasionally release development snapshots
with descriptive changelogs, screenshots, etc... to show off what has been
accomplished already. This is very hard for someone to just go ahead and do
because the changelog - it would require developers to sit down and take a
hour to list all the new stuff they implemented. It shouldn't just be "Merged
Safari changes to 05/12/2003 snapshot", or something like that. It should
actually list what that would of improved and only developers really know
that.

The point of all this being to give the users an idea of all the progress that
has been made up until that point. Not that they would want to actually use
the snapshot, or that it would have all the features or even most of the
features we want in a final release. It's more to keep users informed. As I
said in my previous post KDE development seems slow to many users because
they don't get much information all packaged up in one place during the
development cycle. Weekly updates on what is going on in CVS is fine but it
can't beat impressive changelogs listing everything from KDE3.x and CVS HEAD
;-) People forget what happened last week - the changes need to be listed in
one place occasionally.

And of course all this is my opinion >;-)