KDE 3.2 release cycle

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon May 12 13:28:03 BST 2003

> I have to agree here. As long as there is no feature plan freeze and
feature
> freeze announced, people will happily add new features and delay fixing
> bugs until they absolutely have to. In kpilot, I have so many ideas for
new
> cute features, and I like working on them much more than fixing our bugs
> (kpilot is rather high in the bug-count list, but many bugs are old or
hard
> to impossible to reproduce etc). Especially since I know the next release
> will only be in almost a year or so, I don't have so much incentive to fix
> bugs right now.
> I guess I'm not the only one thinking this way...
>
> So, I'm all  for announcing a feature plan freeze relatively soon, so that
> people really start planning which needs to get into 3.2.

Same opinion here: history has proven that schedules which initially already
exceed 6 months tend to provoke major overhauls which are planned way too
optimistic. So if you plan right now that KDE 3.2 will be released by
November 2003 you'd better already expect that it won't be out before
February 2004. By then KDE would have a huge problem in terms of marketing
and maintainership which would by far eclipse the advantage of some "great"
features no matter how great they are.
Just browse the archives for the development of KDE 2.0 and Gnome 2.0 to see
what I mean.

Torsten Rahn