KDE 3.2 release cycle

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon May 12 04:19:37 BST 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 21:36, Mosfet wrote:
> I know people want to do things like merge KWallet and Kopote, etc... but
> even as CVS stands now I think there could be a development preview. There
> is going to be so much new stuff in KDE3.2 it's not really a point release
> - it's more like a major upgrade that your just calling KDE3.2 because you
> want to wait for Qt4 before releasing a KDE4.
>
> Anyways, of course this is just my opinion, but I think it's something that
> should be seriously considered. I know KDE developers as a whole don't
> really concern themselves about things like "buzz", but I think we can
> already generate quite a bit with what has already been implemented.

   Doing a release is not small undertaking.  It is a lot of work for the
packagers, the release coordinator(s), the translators, the documentation
team, and developers.  KDE becomes more complex with each release, and each
release requires more work to test and polish.  HEAD is definitely not stable
yet, and there are major unresolved issues.  3.1.x, however, is quite stable
and making sure that the it receives regular bugfixes is a good way to
provide users who don't use CVS-HEAD.

   Keep in mind, declaring something KDE 3.2 doesn't mean that users will
upgrade right away anyways.  It is rare that I find a KDE user using the
latest release (other than via mailing lists or bugs.kde.org).  It is
extremely common to find people using KDE several releases old.  I think this
is quite common in organisations where deploying KDE requires testing with
various applications and quite a bit of administrative work.

   Let's take some time and do the things that we want to do.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/