KDE 3.2 release cycle

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Mon May 12 02:36:15 BST 2003

...snip...

Well, as always the people actually doing the coding know best. My comments
are based on the fact that I haven't had a crash since upgrading to CVS HEAD
and people seem to really like when there is development preview releases.
These generate a lot of buzz even if they are clearly marked as just a
development snapshot. Unlike weekly updates they get long, impressive
changelogs and cool screenshots ;-) I believe it would be a good thing if we
occasionally grabbed a snapshot, listed what has changed, did some
screenshots, and released development previews. They don't have to be as
stable or complete as KDE's regular releases. It's just a developer snapshot
to show off what has been done so far. Contrary to what actually has been
going on in CVS people are already saying KDE is falling behind in
development speed because they don't see all the changes that have happened,
(ie: some non-KDE people on the dot, people on osnews where knowing what your
talking about isn't a requirement, etc... ;-). This happens all the time when
we're early in the development cycle: people say KDE is falling behind and
then crap their pants when there is finally a release ;-) Doing developer
snapshots would help keep people up to date.

Nonetheless, I usually just use KMail w/SMTP and POP3, Konq, and Konsole so of
course there are lots of issues the developers know that I don't. From my
perspective it seems pretty stable, tho, and has a lot of new features I
think people will drool over. Just the fact that as I type this mail inline
spellchecking has marked my errors is pretty darn cool >:) The apps I mainly
use, KMail and Konq, have already had significant improvements.

I know people want to do things like merge KWallet and Kopote, etc... but even
as CVS stands now I think there could be a development preview. There is
going to be so much new stuff in KDE3.2 it's not really a point release -
it's more like a major upgrade that your just calling KDE3.2 because you want
to wait for Qt4 before releasing a KDE4.

Anyways, of course this is just my opinion, but I think it's something that
should be seriously considered. I know KDE developers as a whole don't really
concern themselves about things like "buzz", but I think we can already
generate quite a bit with what has already been implemented.