Apparently compile problems with RedHat 9

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun May 11 16:41:28 BST 2003

We have some people reporting Kopete build problems on RedHat 9, and I need
some help in judging the various comments.

Lacking the required knowledge on the build system I hope someone here can
help out.

1. LIBART
---------
Looks like RedHat 9's default installation makes it impossible to compile
_any_ KDE application because of a missing or broken libart installation.

I think it's better to have the configure check for a proper libart somewhere,
but I don't know enough about autotools and build systems to judge what
exactly is needed.

See this mail from Jef Oliver and the rest of the thread:

   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kopete-devel&m=105256218219683&w=2

What exactly should we do with this? Seems to me we need a configure check in
admin/ rather than Kopete's source tree as this seems to affect all apps, but
I'm not 100% sure. Any advice for me?

2. KERBEROS INCLUDES
--------------------
No, Kopete doesn't use Kerberos directly :)

But kssl's includes include openssl headers, and those include kerberos stuff,
which in turn cause a Kopete build to fail because of the includes being in a
place not being searched.

See this mail from Robert Williams for details:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kopete-devel&m=105254292210867&w=2

(Ignore the part about the applnk-redhat stuff - I have *no* idea what to
think about that, so for now I leave it up to the people building on that
platform to figure it out. I doubt it's KDE's job to add configure checks for
that.)

Back to kerberos: is there anyone who can comment on what actions are needed?
My first guess is that here too a configure check needs to be added directly
to admin/ and not to Kopete itself, but I need more advice to be sure.

Any help is appreciated :)

--
Martijn