MEta-data in Konqueror file tooltips

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Fri May 2 11:42:46 BST 2003

> On Friday 02 May 2003 12:08, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’ve noticed that the file tooltips in konqueror only contain meta
> > information if the URL is a file:/ (however the tooltips do show
> thumbnai
> ls for other
> > protocols).
> This is actually configurable, there's a list of protocols deemed "fast
> eno
> ugh"
> for getting thumbnails from.

Yeah, I knew this - I was just pointing it out as an oddity. i.e. its
strange that thumbnails would work, but meta data doesn't - you would think getting
meta data would be simpler and faster.

> > The meta info for the file tooltips comes from
> > KFileItem::metaInfo(). This first checks if the URL is local, and if so
> t then obtains the
> > meta info. The blockage seems to be in KURL – the isLocalFile() only re
> turn true
> > for file:/ URLs
> > i.e. does it really matter which protocol is used? If no host is
> specifie
> d,
> > then surely the file is local? (The code above is a little out of date,
> ut
> > serves for the example).
>
> Wrong thinking. Much code in KDE says
> if (url.isLocalFile())
> {
>     then open url.path() directly.
> }
>
> So you can't change the meaning of isLocalFile - it really means, file:/

I thought as much - but thought it was worth asking just in case, as it
would be the easy way ;-)

> > Or would it be better to change KFIleItem to also get meta data if the
> URL
> > has no host specified?
>
> Yes, something like that - although some people might even want to get
> metadata over SMB etc.? This is again a matter of defining "fast enough".
> Maybe the solution is to use the same config as the "list of protocols
> from
> which to get thumbnails", after renaming that list to something more
> genera
> l.

Hmm... good idea, I hadn't thought of that - plus it would be consistent
with the thumbnail stuff. OK, I'll look into this, and try and do a patch for
this weekend.

> - --
> David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se

Thanks.