Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Vadim Plessky vplessky at faringosept.ru
Sun Mar 16 19:17:48 GMT 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 20:46, Craig Drummond wrote:
|  > As FontConfig is widely presented by now 9and would be on 95% of
|  > desktops by KDE 3,2 release time), is there any reaosn to have kio_fonts
|  > at all? I also think that current KControl module for fonts
|  > configuration is somewhat overhead, as it was designed to support legacy
|  > applications.
|  >
|  > You don't have something like this in case of FontConfig insatlled.
|  > You just copy fonts to some folder (using Konqueror), that's it.
|  > FC would fetch new fonts in 1sec. or so :-)
|
|  Yup I agree - if all systems and apps are using Fontconfig. As this does
| both fontconfig, and standard X - what's the harm? It makes exisiting and
| older apps work.

We would (should) require XFree86 4.3.0 for KDE 3.2 release, as you won't get
latest XRENDER and XCursors otherwise (not speaking about RandR)
As FC is natural part of XF 4.3.0, I don't see how you can avoid installing
it.

|  > IMO, we should stay with KControl module and simplify it, at the same
|  > time.
|
|  But surely the KControl module is overkill, and less intuitive - as stated
|  before.
|
|  Anyway, I've modified the ioslave method even more - I'll have a new
| version soon. It now lets you copy fonts to "fonts:/System" to install
| fonts system-wide - when fonts are dropped on this folder it'll ask for the
| root password to copy the fonts to the X font folder.

This sounds good to me, and I have no objection against it.
We just should find a way to communicate to users that they can do such
"simplified font install" from now.  May be, some kind of Wizard launched at
startup.

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net