Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Sun Mar 16 17:46:12 GMT 2003

> As FontConfig is widely presented by now 9and would be on 95% of desktops
> by KDE 3,2 release time), is there any reaosn to have kio_fonts at all? I
> also think that current KControl module for fonts configuration is somewhat
> overhead, as it was designed to support legacy applications.
>
> You don't have something like this in case of FontConfig insatlled.
> You just copy fonts to some folder (using Konqueror), that's it.
> FC would fetch new fonts in 1sec. or so :-)

Yup I agree - if all systems and apps are using Fontconfig. As this does both
fontconfig, and standard X - what's the harm? It makes exisiting and older
apps work.

> IMO, we should stay with KControl module and simplify it, at the same time.

But surely the KControl module is overkill, and less intuitive - as stated
before.

Anyway, I've modified the ioslave method even more - I'll have a new version
soon. It now lets you copy fonts to "fonts:/System" to install fonts
system-wide - when fonts are dropped on this folder it'll ask for the root
password to copy the fonts to the X font folder.

Craig.