glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Vadim Plessky vplessky at faringosept.ru
Sat Mar 15 17:28:56 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 21:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
|  On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:30:02AM +0100, Dirk Mueller wrote:
|  > On Mon, 10 Mär 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:
|  > > I don't agree that KDE apps are sidelined more so than GNOME apps. The
|  > > defaults for the "big three" apps are Mozilla, OpenOffice, and
|  > > Evolution. These were arrived at on technical merits. Galeon is
|  > > sidelined, as are Gnumeric and AbiWord. If we think OpenOffice is
|  > > better than KOffice, it seems to me that defaulting KDE to KOffice and
|  > > GNOME to OpenOffice in fact makes KDE look worse than GNOME.
|  >
|  > Ah, right.
|  >
|  > And choosing "GNOME" apps for the big three did not make KDE look worse?
|
|  If Mozilla and OpenOffice are "GNOME" apps, it's news to me.

While it's discussable wether OO is GNOME application or not, Evolution is
clearly GNOME application.
And I strongly disagree to put Evolution inline with Mozilla and OO.
There is no way (Evo) should be treated as necessary component for Linux
Desktop (speaking of "big three" apps ).

Note that I have nothing aganst running OO, either in KDE or in GNOME.
But there are few critical components which needs to be fixed in OpenOffice,
to make it more usable and consistent on typical Linux Desktop.
Those are:
a)  common File Open/Save dialog
b)  Toolbars/Icon sets shared with GNOME/KDE  (read: conformance to latest
Icon Theme specs)
c)  common Font Management with other environment.
GNOME2.2 and KDE 3.1 use FontConfig, so we are probably on track with this for
both environments.  But I have no idea how this is supposed to work with
OpenOffice, as it has a goal to run on Windows, too (and ther eis no
FontConfig on Windows platform)

What really concerns me a lot is a) and b)
AFAIK, new, better File Open dialog for GNOME is planned only for GNOME 2.6
(which is 14 months away), so inter-operability is affected her enot only by
OO but by GNOME, too. It there any chance to get it out earlier?

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net