glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 11 06:34:07 GMT 2003

Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:
> only for GNOME, that people would have felt we were screwing KDE (well
> also, my opinion is that we *would* have been screwing KDE). So we did

You've certainly done some good work as you note.  Stuff that makes
sense for both desktops.  So kudos for that.

> so we were forced to take some action. A lot of people felt that
> fragmentation was intractable and we must choose sides. Preston and I

You *did* choose sides.  GNOME is the Red Hat default, and that's
*fine*.

However, the casual user who installs KDE (for whatever unlikely
reason) will find themselves presented with an environment that
suffers from both GNOME and KDE bloat and sports an interface that
looks virtually identical to GNOME but buggier (given the lack of KDE
manpower at Red Hat).  Where's the sense in that?

People were already very pleased with the state of KDE in Red Hat 7.3
but now it's likely that people who have already deployed KDE will
look at KDE in Red Hat 8.0 and reject it.  I'm sure Bero et al could
have kept KDE in acceptable shape while providing decent integration
in GNOME.

Later,
Navin.