glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 23:24:15 GMT 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:48:52PM -0800, Adam Treat wrote:

> Two rules I've discerned:
>
> 1.  If it helps to promote GNOME or seems to make GNOME look good then some go to great lengths to
> include it.
>
> 2.  If it somehow makes GNOME look bad or is not particularly convienent to the discussion at hand
> then it's not really GNOME until the next time it comes up and then back to rule 1.
>
> ie, OpenOffice isn't really a part of GNOME so you can't fault RedHat for choosing this
> non-'GNOME' app over KOffice in KDE/BlueCurve. (see rule 2) ...
> http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/ (see rule 1)

Your point about inconsistency only makes sense if you think that the
same entity is doing both the Red Hat default application selection,
and http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/

However, http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/ comes from Christian
Schaller, and the Red Hat default apps come from the Red Hat product
team.

Not that it even *matters* - clearly the only thing we *should* care
about is whether the apps are the best ones, not which group they
originate from.

You may also be mixing two definitions of "GNOME app" or "KDE app" -
one might be "GNOME or KDE claims credit or blessing for the app" and
one might be "the app uses the GNOME or KDE platform." Where
OpenOffice is arguably "GNOME-affiliated" by the first definition but
clearly is not a GNOME app by the second.

And the second definition is definitely the one that's relevant if
we're really talking about technical merits of the apps rather than
politics.

Havoc