glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 11 13:41:39 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 00:53, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
<snip>
> > Qt surely doesn't fall into the category of libs that'd live
> > outside of the gnome equivalent of kdelibs, does it?
>
> Why not ? It lives outside kdelibs, why should it be considered to be
> part of the "gnomelibs" equivalent ? Does we consider qt to be part
> of kdelibs ? And if yes, since when ?
<snip>

Qt is the foundation for kde(+libs). If a Gnome application would use
Qt, it would use it as a foundation, too.

You said you found it amusing that Gnomes refuse to link against a GPL
lib. My point is that KDE also forbids foundation libraries (defined as
being in or a dependency for kdelibs) to be GPL, with the notable (and
sole) exception being Qt.

So why doesn't KDE's policy amuse you as Gnome's does? Because we don't
"run around as GNU..."? Because we _do_ link against Qt?

Marc

--
History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.