KSplash/ML donation?

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon Mar 10 15:09:44 GMT 2003

On Montag, 10. März 2003 15:14, Brian Ledbetter wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Now that I think of it, I would also like to propose an update to the DCOP
> API which KSplash/ML uses.  If you look in the KSplash/ML code, there is a
> parallel set of DCOP slots which provide a more flexible interface to
> KSplash.  Essentially, instead of emitting static DCOP signals (like
> KSplash::kickerStarted()), you can pass a generic signal, containing the
> program being launched, an icon (optionally displayed by the ThemeEngine)
> and a descriptive string of what action is being performed.  The new DCOP
> API for KSplash looks like this:

Hi Brian,

I thought you had a CVS account so you could get going yourself. Unfortunately
I currently *really* lack the time to do that and to pick up your work until
March 22nd at least.

I suggest either Stephan gets it in or Karol Szwed. He could also help you to
put in any patches for kicker, kdesktop and kwin if you need them applied.

Though, I think it would be even better if you'd get a CVS account and
maintain this stuff yourself - once you have it in it shouldn't be too hard
anymore as other people can help you out to fix bugs but you should be aware
that this is probably the opposite of what you intially wanted to do - take
yourself back from kde development. Getting a CVS account more or less means
you can work on your stuff unlimited :-)

Ralf

> 	KSplash::setStartupItemCount( int );
> 		int count;
>
> 		Set the total number of items which will appear in the
> 		KSplash/ML startup sequence.  Emitting this signal later
> 		will reconfigure KSplash/ML's internal progress meters.
>
> 	KSplash::programStarted( QString, QString, QString );
> 		QString programIcon;
> 		QString programName;
> 		QString description;
>
> 		Instructs KSplash/ML to display the currently-launching
> 		program.  Some ThemeEngines may or may not display the
> 		arguments passed here - for example, XpLike does not
> 		display the program's icon, whereas MacClassic will
> 		not display any descriptive text about the current action.
>
> 	KSplash::startupComplete();
>
> 		Ends the KSplash/ML execution cycle, which causes the
> 		exit timeout counter to start.
>
> If this API is acceptable, I would be happy to put in the effort of porting
> the existing KDE applications (KWin, kicker, kdesktop) to use it.
>
> -Brian

- --
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org