"International Domain Names" support in KDE

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 21 12:27:47 BST 2003

Martin Konold wrote:
>> Krall, Gary wrote:
>> >I wanted to check in with you to hear how things are coming with your
>> > work to integrate the IDN support into KDE.  Netscape has completed
>> > their
>
>Is the IDN support as implemented by Verisign an official standard?
>
>What about competing implementations?

[conspiracy theory suppressed]

Hello, your theory is completely unfounded. The IDN implementation is backed
by the following RFCs (extract from code)
// all IDN functions conform to the following documents:
//  RFC 3454 - Preparation of Internationalized Strings
//  RFC 3490 - Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)
//  RFC 3491 - Nameprep: A Stringprep Profile for
//                Internationalized Domain Names (IDN
//  RFC 3492 - Punycode: A Bootstring encoding of Unicode
//          for Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)

Currently in KDE/Qt, we're not using Verisign's Xcode library, but GNU libidn
instead. There's no Verisign code in our libraries at the moment and support
is there and working.

As for patents, well, I can't be sure, but the whole process is described by
the above RFCs in a lot of detail. They don't mention any patents. And
libidn's code follows those instructions to the mark.

I don't know what got into you to come up with a conspiracy theory, but I feel
you've precipitated. You've mailed our contact at Verisign and he'll probably
respond.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom at mail.com
    ICQ UIN: 1967141   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358