"International Domain Names" support in KDE

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat Jun 21 12:50:50 BST 2003

Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 13:27 schrieb Thiago Macieira:

Hi Thiago,

> Martin Konold wrote:

> >Is the IDN support as implemented by Verisign an official standard?
> >
> >What about competing implementations?
>
> [conspiracy theory suppressed]

> Hello, your theory is completely unfounded. The IDN implementation is
> backed by the following RFCs (extract from code)
> // all IDN functions conform to the following documents:
> //  RFC 3454 - Preparation of Internationalized Strings
> //  RFC 3490 - Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)
> //  RFC 3491 - Nameprep: A Stringprep Profile for
> //                Internationalized Domain Names (IDN
> //  RFC 3492 - Punycode: A Bootstring encoding of Unicode
> //          for Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)

This looks rather good and like an open standard.

Are there any competing RFCs?

> Currently in KDE/Qt, we're not using Verisign's Xcode library, but GNU
> libidn instead. There's no Verisign code in our libraries at the moment and
> support is there and working.

I see.

> As for patents, well, I can't be sure, but the whole process is described
> by the above RFCs in a lot of detail. They don't mention any patents.

Which does not mean that verisign or someone else applied for a patent.

> I don't know what got into you to come up with a conspiracy theory, but I
> feel you've precipitated.

I dont understand this sentence.

> You've mailed our contact at Verisign and he'll
> probably respond.

Yes, lets see what he has to say.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de