"International Domain Names" support in KDE

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat Jun 21 10:08:14 BST 2003

Am Freitag, 20. Juni 2003 23:28 schrieb Thiago Macieira:

Hi,

> Krall, Gary wrote:
> >I wanted to check in with you to hear how things are coming with your work
> >to integrate the IDN support into KDE.  Netscape has completed their

Is the IDN support as implemented by Verisign an official standard?

What about competing implementations?

<conspirtation theory>
Verisign is trying to make their implementation a defacto standard (this
happened before with their certificate business, they are known to have used
unfair practices) and make sure beforehand that competition stays out?

E.g. Does Verisign have a patents on the BSD licensed or other code /
technology which is required to implement their version of IDN?

Has Verisign already preregistered interesting domain names which only make
sense with their implementation of IDN? Are these domain names to be sold for
extra high prices?

</conspiration theory>

-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de