wanted: autotools guru/kulow, i18n diety/diehl

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Sat Jul 26 13:58:06 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:26:19PM +0200, Gerold J. Wucherpfennig wrote:
> IIRC monopd was/is a standalone GUI/toolkit independent game server...
> Aren't there some other GUI apps which use monopd? What do the
> GTK+/GNOME people say about depending on QT?

I discussed it and using Qt/E doesn't seem to be a problem to them, nor is a
move away from SF CVS.

> Or are these other projects dead...?

That too. ;-)

Actually, the gtkAtlantic guy is reimplementing monopd in C.

> What's the new vision of monopd?

Still the same: serve board games, Monopoly being the priority. Keeping the
option to run it on a server remains important to me.

> What about the QT or QT/E dependency? Is quite a big one ...

Qt/E can be made rather small and it would remove the dependency on my own
network library. Furthermore, I believe QString and other classes are
definitely preferable over STL. Would have chosen tinyQ but it doesn't have
slots/signals and thus not QServerSocket either.

I've got a working patch to allow --without-kde already, except that I still
need to find a way to let that only compile programs with KDE_OPTIONS =
qtonly. Which is why I mailed this list in the first place, hacking admin/
isn't something I'd like to do without peer review and discussion.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap at capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."