As-you-type spell checking and color quoting implemented in the composer

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Thu Jan 23 05:52:48 GMT 2003

On Thursday 23 January 2003 11:24, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 23:24, Daniel Naber wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > If KWord-like underline can be used instead of color to show
> > misspellings, things would becode more clear to the user I guess.
> > Also people usually don't add richtext markup to quoted text.

It would be nice to have support for squiggle underlining in
qtextedit/qrichtext/qfont, (I don't promise to implement it but I am
motivated to see this supported).

> <snip>
>
> Do I speak goobledygook? I'm _not_ talking about the spell checking
> _at all_. :-(

Ok, I didn't realize you weren't talking about this either.

> I'm talking about syntax highlighting interfering with normal rich
> text editing (bold, italic, and - yes - color).
>
> Consider KMail's composer showing to-be-edited messages like the
> reader does (coloring quoted text, highlighting links, etc.). Not
> think about how to add rich text (read: HTML) editing to that w/o
> confusing the user.

I did try to answer this

<quote>
It might not be confusing at all, I would like to try it before
deciding. But if having t/enriched, t/html and color quoting and
as-you-type spell checking on all together is confusing then we can
just limit the user to non confusing options, or give the user the
option of turning off/on individual highlighting methods.
</quote>

Re: Evo here's a screenshot
http://www.ximian.com/images/screenshots/evolution/evolution-sending-mail.png

So they have the nice squiggle red underline, and they automatically
mark up the email address too, and at the end they have a '> Bill:'
marked up in a light font.

I'm guess they ignore the issue, or don't consider it important.

If it does turn out to be a problem perhaps some kind of 'Preview'
action will be necessary.

Don.