[PROPOSAL] cvs support in KDE

Hamish Rodda meddie at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au
Wed Jan 22 02:20:53 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 11:14, Christian Loose wrote:
> Am Montag, 20. Januar 2003 00:40 schrieb Hamish Rodda:
> > On Monday 20 January 2003 04:32, Christian Loose wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The official document is in CVS at kdelibs/kioslave/http/rfc3253 or on
> > the web at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3253.txt - also, the page at
> > http://www.webdav.org/specs/ has some supplementary documentation. Webdav
> > versioning is used by subversion (and probably others I don't know
> > about).
>
> Thanks for the links!

No problems.

> > In terms of implementation, I was thinking about extending KIO; using a
> > plugin mechanism to provide a generic interface to common capabilities of
> > a versioning system, plus have the ability to add their own unique
> > features to the file dialog etc.  The plugins would then either implement
> > their functionality through kioslaves with special() requests, metadata
> > etc, or other means (separate client library, dcop interface etc.)  This
> > way you could use your dcop interface, just writing a plugin which uses
> > it.  Also, the design would hopefully be such that no modification is
> > needed in applications to take advantage of the basic capability, and
> > little modifications for full use.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Hamish.
>
> I'm not yet through the documentation of Webdav and I don't know much about
> KIO. But it seems as if Webdav works a little different than the other
> common versioning systems. Webdav works directly on the repository and
> there is no working copy, right? So I think a KIO interface to Webdav makes
> perfect sense but I'm not sure about CVS and Subversion. Maybe I
> misunderstood you, but would the CVS kioslave work with the checked-out
> working copy or with the repository? What would a call to get() for example
> mean for the CVS kioslave?

Webdav does not specify anything about a local copy but it is quite possible
to write a client that works with one (see subversion).  Any api we write
should take into account both possibilities.

Anyway, the idea I had was to extend KIO but not require the use of an
ioslave; having a separate plugin for the versioning capabilities.  Eg. I
would supply a plugin + the webdav ioslave, you might supply a plugin which
makes dcop calls to cervisia.

> I hope I'm on the right track. :-)

I'm encouraged by the fact that someone else is interested in this :)  I'll
think a bit more on this and hopefully come up with something concrete we can
discuss further.

Cheers,
Hamish.