CVS support in KDE

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Fri Jan 17 13:57:56 GMT 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Christian Loose wrote:
> I want to propose a more organized effort to add a system-wide support
> for CVS (and other vcs like Subversion) to KDE. Right now we have a lot
> of code duplication.

An interesting idea. Reducing code duplication and wastage is always a
good idea. But, if you've followed core-devel recently, some things need
to be considered _first_, maybe: where are you going to put it?

> - Cervisia with its new CVS DCOP service
> - KDevelop with cvs and svn part
> - KBabel with libcvs
> - Quanta uses Cervisia (AFAIK)
> - and in the future maybe more (Kate, KFileDialog?)

Count the number of different CVS modules in that list. kdevelop, kdesdk,
and quanta at the very least, kdebase for kate. Now, where does the
factored-out code go? Not in base, since you can't demand a quanta user to
have kdebase, can you. Not in sdk, since that gives you even worse
dependencies. So that leaves either libs or "elsewhere". Make sure it is
clear _where_ the shared code is going to live before you start, and where
the apps are going to end up.