comments on KDE performance tips

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jasongeo.com
Thu Jan 16 13:19:16 GMT 2003

* Melchior FRANZ <a8603365 at unet.univie.ac.at> (Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:47:20AM +0100)
> * Gerhard den Hollander -- Wednesday 15 January 2003 21:39:
>> * Thiago Macieira <thiagom at wanadoo.fr> (Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 06:00:41PM +0100)
>>> That's just to prove my point that /tmp is the wrong location, at least on
>>> Linux and probably on other systems where /tmp is a virtual filesystem or is
>>> usually cleaned up during boot up (I've seen Solaris do that).
>>
>> Solaris and IRIX (and AIX IIRC, but it's been years since I've worked with
>> that) all mounted /tmp on tmpfs by default.
>
> Linux also has a tmpfs and FWIW my system has the following line
> in /etc/init.d/boot.local:
>
>   mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp

Fair enough, my experience is mainly with SuSE systems, and they have /tmp
by default not on tmpfs.

>> I do like linux way of not cleaning /tmp on reboot, as I have the tendecy
>> to have my programs runnign and lg to /tmp/xxxxxxx

> Huh? What keeps you from using /var/tmp under Linux?

Nothing,
It's 4 characters less when typing, that's all.

redirecting to /tmp/xxxxx is hardwired into my fingers I guess, it just
happens ...

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-10.280.1515
Global IT Support manager                       Direct:+31-10.280.1539

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.