comments on KDE performance tips

Melchior FRANZ a8603365 at unet.univie.ac.at
Thu Jan 16 08:47:20 GMT 2003

* Gerhard den Hollander -- Wednesday 15 January 2003 21:39:
> * Thiago Macieira <thiagom at wanadoo.fr> (Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 06:00:41PM +0100)
> > That's just to prove my point that /tmp is the wrong location, at least on
> > Linux and probably on other systems where /tmp is a virtual filesystem or is
> > usually cleaned up during boot up (I've seen Solaris do that).
>
> Solaris and IRIX (and AIX IIRC, but it's been years since I've worked with
> that) all mounted /tmp on tmpfs by default.

Linux also has a tmpfs and FWIW my system has the following line
in /etc/init.d/boot.local:

  mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp

> I do like linux way of not cleaning /tmp on reboot, as I have the tendecy
> to have my programs runnign and lg to /tmp/xxxxxxx

Huh? What keeps you from using /var/tmp under Linux? Again cited from fhs.txt:

 "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
  temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
  reboots.  Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than
  data in /tmp."

I din't know the KDETMP environment variable until yesterday. It does
indeed solve this problem.

m.