Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Tue Jan 14 20:16:09 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:04, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:54, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > While I agree that smtp and possibly nntp needs to go to kdelibs, I
> > think that pop3 and imap4 is better placed in kdepim. If not, then by
> > that line of thought sieve should go to libs too (which I obviously
> > wouldn't like).
>
> I would prefer to see _all_ ioslaves move to kdelibs, so that they are
> usable by third party apps too without a huge dependency trail.

That's the other way to do it. But right now there are ioslaves scattered
over the modules, and if this is the way things are supposed to be, then
pop3 and imap should go with kmail. If people agree that kdelibs should
be the place for all stable ioslaves, I have absolutely no problem with
that.

> Just because we want KMail (& co) to be the premier applications of
> their type, we should not stifle innovation by external developers.
> Making our ioslaves easy for them to use is one of our best selling
> points, code-wise, in my opinion. Sticking them behind a dependency
> chain won't help them at all.

Excuse me? The argument for making it externally available is sound, but
accusing kmail people of "stifling innovation by external developers" is
downright insulting and pure flaming troll bait.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark