Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 20:04:09 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:54, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 19:56, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 January 2003 19:13, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > > - KMail/KNode/KMailcvt/ktnef/libkdenetwork/mimelib are being
> > > moved into kdepim,
> >
> > Plus certmanager, korn, kfile-plugins/rfc822 and kioslave/sieve and
> > the doc/ subdirs.
> > Which together with the above accounts for roughly 45% the size of
> > kdenetwork.
>
> One small detail: sieve is the only ioslave in kdenetwork, so it's
> actually all of the kioslave dir - yes, I know, I know, I'm
> nitpicking.
>
> > > - smtp, pop3, nntp, imap4 slaves are being moved to kdelibs.
> >
> > I'd say yes, those four.
>
> While I agree that smtp and possibly nntp needs to go to kdelibs, I
> think that pop3 and imap4 is better placed in kdepim. If not, then by
> that line of thought sieve should go to libs too (which I obviously
> wouldn't like).

I would prefer to see _all_ ioslaves move to kdelibs, so that they are
usable by third party apps too without a huge dependency trail.

Just because we want KMail (& co) to be the premier applications of
their type, we should not stifle innovation by external developers.
Making our ioslaves easy for them to use is one of our best selling
points, code-wise, in my opinion. Sticking them behind a dependency
chain won't help them at all.

A.

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org