Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Jan 14 20:35:35 GMT 2003

On Die, 14 Jan 2003, Zack Rusin wrote:

> - smtp, pop3, nntp, imap4 slaves are being moved to kdelibs.

eh, why ?

We had them in kdebase, then they were moved to kdelibs, then to kdenetwork,
and now back to kdelibs ?

People, this "we move it around" has a cost, and its not small, and its
unnecessary as well.

It doesn't matter much where the kioslaves are, because they're not needed
at compile time. They're only needed at *runtime*. The dependencies for
*runtime* are the problem of the *distributors* who will probably split the
stuff up anyway. Our CVS modules are far too monolithic to be usable for
*users* (Classic example: who wants kpovmodeler just because he wants to use
kiconedit?).

so before we move it around yet another time, let me suggest to create a
separate module for them. We can then map the directories into any module we
want at a fixed, minimal cost. We should have done that years ago.

The same probably applies to kmail, which could very well be its own
toplevel module with all its branches nowadays.

--
Dirk (received 599 mails today)