user interaction in kimgio plugins

Waldo Bastian bastian at suse.com
Fri Jan 10 13:18:25 GMT 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 13:36, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > So (for KDE4?) I propose to create a framework to handle this situation.
> > Passing (within QImageIO) a QWidget* to use as a parent for dialogs would
> > propable suffice in many situations. Adding a "bool quiet" tackles case
> > c) from above.
> > Is this a feasible way to go?
>
> I like this idea. And why not (as an option) go one step further and
> provide help on the different image formats on places where the format is
> selectable? I tried to do this in Kooka with the image save assistant.

I think it is certainly a problem that should be addressed so if you manage to
come up with something that works that would be great. I don't think
QImage/QImageIO has any support for it (at the moment) Eventually I think it
should, e.g. either in the form of some callback/signal or at least having
some flag with which you can enable/disable user interaction.

Alternatively you might be able to come up with a KImage class that provides
"QImage + support for user-interaction". Or maybe even a step higher and
provide a "QImage + support for user interaction + file dialog". I imagine
that is close to what Kooka does already with it's save assistant.

It makes sense to integrate this in KImageIO, because then all programs that
manipulate images could benefit from it. It will also give you the ability to
interface closer with image plugins by having KImageIO specific hooks in the
image plugins.

Cheers,
Waldo